Re: [HACKERS] make async slave to wait for lsn to be replayed

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Kartyshov Ivan <i(dot)kartyshov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] make async slave to wait for lsn to be replayed
Date: 2023-03-01 20:31:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 28 Feb 2023 at 05:13, Kartyshov Ivan <i(dot)kartyshov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

> Below I provide the implementation of patches for the first three types.
> I propose to discuss this feature again/

Oof, that doesn't really work with the cfbot. It tries to apply all
three patches and of course the second and third fail to apply.

In any case this seems like a lot of effort to me. I would suggest you
just pick one avenue and provide that patch for discussion and just
ask whether people would prefer any of the alternative syntaxes.

Fwiw I prefer the functions approach. I do like me some nice syntax
but I don't see any particular advantage of the special syntax in this
case. They don't seem to provide any additional expressiveness.

That said, I'm not a fan of the specific function names. Remember that
we have polymorphic functions so you could probably just have an
option argument:

pg_lsn_wait('LSN', [timeout]) returns boolean

(just call it with a timeout of 0 to do a no-wait)

I'll set the patch to "Waiting on Author" for now. If you feel you're
still looking for more opinions from others maybe set it back to Needs
Review but honestly there are a lot of patches so you probably won't
see much this commitfest unless you have a patch that shows in
cfbot.cputube.org as applying and which looks ready to commit.

--
greg