Re: proposal: new polymorphic types - commontype and commontypearray

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: new polymorphic types - commontype and commontypearray
Date: 2019-06-10 16:59:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The proposals I see above are "commontype", "supertype", "anycommontype",
and various abbreviations of those. I would humbly add "compatibletype".

Fwiw I kind of like commontype.

Alternately an argument could be made that length and typing convenience
isn't really a factor here since database users never have to type these
types. The only place they get written is when defining polymorphic
functions which is a pretty uncommon operation.

In which case a very explicit "anycompatibletype" may be better.