Re: archive falling behind

From: German Becker <german(dot)becker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Cc: Strahinja Kustudic <strahinjak(at)nordeus(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: archive falling behind
Date: 2013-04-26 13:06:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

Here is the archive part of the config:

archive_mode = on # allows archiving to be done
# (change requires restart)
archive_command = '/var/lib/postgresql/scripts/archive_copy.sh %p %f'
# command to use to archive a logfile segment
#archive_timeout = 0 # force a logfile segment switch after this
# number of seconds; 0 disables

The archive coommand makes a local copy and then it copies to the backup
server via ssh. Both copies are md5-checked and retried up to 3 times in
case of failure.

I have seen under heavy load that some WALs are skipped, some have less
size, some are corrupted (i,e, the loop fails 3 times).
I'm not sure about the return value (checking it). What is the expected
behaviour of the archiver? Will it retry de archive if archive command
returns differnt than 0? Will it retain the WAL segment until it is
succesfuly archived?