Re: GSoC 2017: weekly progress reports (week 7)

From: Shubham Barai <shubhambaraiss(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Borodin <amborodin86(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GSoC 2017: weekly progress reports (week 7)
Date: 2017-07-20 17:22:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Robert,

I had detailed discussion about this with my mentor. Sorry, I didn't share
details on hackers list.

B-tree, gist, spgist, and gin are all tree based indexes where we scan and
acquire predicate lock
on only some and not all internal pages or leaf pages. So, here we have
scope to reduce false positives.
In BRIN index, each tuple stores summarizing values in the consecutive
group of heap pages.
So initially I thought we could implement tuple level predicate locking in
BRIN. But, here we scan
the whole index which forces us to acquire predicate lock on all tuples.
Acquiring predicate lock on all
tuples will be no different than a relation level predicate lock.

Regards,
Shubham

<https://mailtrack.io/> Sent with Mailtrack
<https://mailtrack.io/install?source=signature&lang=en&referral=shubhambaraiss(at)gmail(dot)com&idSignature=22>