Re: Move backup-related code to xlogbackup.c/.h

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Move backup-related code to xlogbackup.c/.h
Date: 2022-10-19 09:40:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 2:30 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:

> Another point before we move on with your 0002 is that forcePageWrites
> is no longer useful and we can remove it, as per the attached.

+1. The following comment enables us to rely on runningBackups and get
rid of forcePageWrites completely.

* in progress. forcePageWrites is set to true when runningBackups is
* non-zero. lastBackupStart is the latest checkpoint redo location used

When the standby is in recovery, calls to XLogInsertRecord() or
AdvanceXLInsertBuffer()) where forcePageWrites is being used, won't
happen, no?

* Note that forcePageWrites has no effect during an online backup from
- * the standby.
+ * the standby. XXX what does this mean??

I removed the 2 more instances of forcePageWrites left-out and tweaked
the comments a little and attached 0002.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-get-rid-of-forcePageWrites.patch application/octet-stream 7.0 KB