Re: Move backup-related code to xlogbackup.c/.h

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Move backup-related code to xlogbackup.c/.h
Date: 2022-10-19 10:53:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2022-Oct-19, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:

> When the standby is in recovery, calls to XLogInsertRecord() or
> AdvanceXLInsertBuffer()) where forcePageWrites is being used, won't
> happen, no?
>
> * Note that forcePageWrites has no effect during an online backup from
> - * the standby.
> + * the standby. XXX what does this mean??

Well, yes, but when looking at this comment I wonder why do I *care*
about this point. I left this comment has you changed it, but I wonder
if we shouldn't just remove it.

> I removed the 2 more instances of forcePageWrites left-out and tweaked
> the comments a little and attached 0002.

Thanks for looking. Pushed now.

--
Álvaro Herrera 48°01'N 7°57'E — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"People get annoyed when you try to debug them." (Larry Wall)