Re: Confusing error message for REINDEX TABLE CONCURRENTLY

From: Ashwin Agrawal <aagrawal(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: Confusing error message for REINDEX TABLE CONCURRENTLY
Date: 2019-05-28 05:23:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 6:43 PM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

> As you mention for reindex_relation() no indexes <=> nothing to do,
> still let's not rely on that. Instead of making the error message
> specific to concurrent operations, I would suggest to change it to
> "table foo has no indexes to reindex". What do you think about the
> attached?

I think we will need to separate out the NOTICE message for concurrent and
regular case.

For example this doesn't sound correct
WARNING: cannot reindex exclusion constraint index "public.circles_c_excl"
concurrently, skipping
NOTICE: table "circles" has no indexes to reindex

As no indexes can't be reindexed *concurrently* but there are still indexes
which can be reindexed, invalid indexes I think fall in same category.