Re: generic plans and "initial" pruning

From: Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: generic plans and "initial" pruning
Date: 2022-05-27 20:08:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 1:10 AM Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 12:53 PM Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 8:05 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >> Sending v15 that fixes that to keep the cfbot green for now.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > + /* RT index of the partitione table. */
> >
> > partitione -> partitioned
>
> Thanks, fixed.
>
> Also, I broke this into patches:
>
> 0001 contains the mechanical changes of moving PartitionPruneInfo out
> of Append/MergeAppend into a list in PlannedStmt.
>
> 0002 is the main patch to "Optimize AcquireExecutorLocks() by locking
> only unpruned partitions".
>
> --
> Thanks, Amit Langote
> EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Hi,
In the description:

is made available to the actual execution via
PartitionPruneResult, made available along with the PlannedStmt by the

I think the second `made available` is redundant (can be omitted).

+ * Initial pruning is performed here if needed (unless it has already been
done
+ * by ExecDoInitialPruning()), and in that case only the surviving
subplans'

I wonder if there is a typo above - I don't find ExecDoInitialPruning
either in PG codebase or in the patches (except for this in the comment).
I think it should be ExecutorDoInitialPruning.

+ * bit from it just above to prevent empty tail bits resulting in

I searched in the code base but didn't find mentioning of `empty tail bit`.
Do you mind explaining a bit about it ?

Cheers