Re: "ERROR: latch already owned" on gharial

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, CM Team <cm(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "ERROR: latch already owned" on gharial
Date: 2022-05-27 20:11:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 10:21 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> What I'd suggest is to promote that failure to elog(PANIC), which
>> would at least give us the PID and if we're lucky a stack trace.

> That proposed change is fine with me.

> As to the question of whether it's a real bug, nobody can prove
> anything unless we actually run it down.

Agreed, and I'll even grant your point that if it is an HPUX-specific
or IA64-specific bug, it is not worth spending huge amounts of time
to isolate. The problem is that we don't know that. What we do know
so far is that if it can occur elsewhere, it's rare --- so we'd better
be prepared to glean as much info as possible if we do get such a
failure. Hence my thought of s/ERROR/PANIC/. And I'd be in favor of
any other low-effort change we can make to instrument the case better.