Re: SLRUs in the main buffer pool - Page Header definitions

From: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Bagga, Rishu" <bagrishu(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Debnath, Shawn" <sdn(at)amazon(dot)com>
Subject: Re: SLRUs in the main buffer pool - Page Header definitions
Date: 2023-01-03 13:05:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 at 04:47, Bagga, Rishu <bagrishu(at)amazon(dot)com> wrote:
> Rebased and updated a new patch addressing the critical section issue in
> RecordNewMultliXact.In GetNewMultiXactId, we now make our ReadBuffer
> calls before starting the critical section, but while holding the
> MultiXactGenLock, so we always fetch the correct buffers. We store them
> in an array that is accessed later in RecordNewMultiXact.
> This way we can keep the existing functionality of only holding the MultiXactGenLock while reading in buffers, but can let go when we are writing,
> to preserve the existing concurrency paradigm.
> Let me know your thoughts on this approach.

The patch does not apply on top of HEAD as in [1], please post a rebased patch:
=== Applying patches on top of PostgreSQL commit ID
92957ed98c5c565362ce665266132a7f08f6b0c0 ===
=== applying patch ./slru_to_buffer_cache_with_page_headers_v3.patch
patching file src/include/catalog/catversion.h
Hunk #1 FAILED at 57.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file
src/include/catalog/catversion.h.rej

[1] - http://cfbot.cputube.org/patch_41_3514.log

Regards,
Vignesh