Re: Supporting SQL/MED DATALINK

From: Damiano ALBANI <damiano(dot)albani(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Supporting SQL/MED DATALINK
Date: 2012-01-09 08:56:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 21:13, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> I'm not aware of any plans. What would be your use case?

Well, basically what DATALINK is made for: storing files in the filesystem
and only keeping the reference in the database.
What I'm most interested in are the "transaction" and "auto deletion of
unused file" features of DATALINK.
At the moment, this is handled by some code in my application (although not
perfectly, e.g. regarding transactions), so I can live with that :-)

I believe DB2 is pretty much it in this area.

For the record, it looks like MS SQL Server has some equivalent feature :
FILESTREAM <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb933993.aspx>.

--
Damiano ALBANI