Re: Supporting SQL/MED DATALINK

From: Alban Hertroys <haramrae(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Damiano ALBANI <damiano(dot)albani(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Supporting SQL/MED DATALINK
Date: 2012-01-09 11:07:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On 9 January 2012 09:56, Damiano ALBANI
>> I believe DB2 is pretty much it in this area.
>
> For the record, it looks like MS SQL Server has some equivalent feature :
> FILESTREAM.

And Oracle has BFILE.

I've actually been thinking about how to implement something like this
for Postgres, but the interaction with the file-system makes it a
little more difficult to implement. Someone shouldn't be able to
delete a file from the file-system that's still referenced from the
database.
Perhaps a file-system layer with FusionFS would be a suitable solution
for something like this, but I couldn't convince myself that it is.

In the end, it probably requires a custom file-system implementation
that needs maintaining across all operating systems that Postgres runs
on. That's a major undertaking!