Re: Code of Conduct plan

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date: 2018-09-14 08:31:25
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 10:53 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> I wrote:
> > Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> writes:
> >> We seem to be a bit past that timeline... Do we have any update on when
> >> this will be moving forward?
> >> Or did I miss something?
>
> > Nope, you didn't. Folks have been on holiday which made it hard to keep
> > forward progress going, particularly with respect to selecting the
> initial
> > committee members. Now that Magnus is back on shore, I hope we can
> > wrap it up quickly --- say by the end of August.
>
> I apologize for the glacial slowness with which this has all been moving.
> The core team has now agreed to some revisions to the draft CoC based on
> the comments in this thread; see
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct
>
> (That's the updated text, but you can use the diff tool on the page
> history tab to see the changes from the previous draft.)

I really have to object to this addition:
"This Code is meant to cover all interaction between community members,
whether or not it takes place within postgresql.org infrastructure, so long
as there is not another Code of Conduct that takes precedence (such as a
conference's Code of Conduct)."

That covers things like public twitter messages over live political
controversies which might not be personally directed. At least if one is
going to go that route, one ought to *also* include a safe harbor for
non-personally-directed discussions of philosophy, social issues, and
politics. Otherwise, I think this is asking for trouble. See, for
example, what happened with Opalgate and how this could be seen to
encourage use of this to silence political controversies unrelated to
PostgreSQL.

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito: Hosted Accounting and ERP. Robust and Flexible. No vendor
lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more