Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Regina Obe <lr(at)pcorp(dot)us>
Cc: Buford Tannen <buford(at)biffco(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Brian Dunavant <brian(at)omniti(dot)com>, Scott Mead <scottm(at)openscg(dot)com>, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?
Date: 2016-01-12 08:25:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 9:16 AM, Regina Obe <lr(at)pcorp(dot)us> wrote:

> Chris,
>

> The first part up to (I is fine), but part II and below reads more like a
> Core Contributor riot act you force all the main contributor's to read
> before you bless them with water and give them keys to commit stuff to your
> code base.

I am not sold on the specifics of what is covered. But it is worth noting
that responsibility can include a lot of other stuff too, not just keys for
committing. Thing about side projects and the like. That's why I included
it. It could easily be replaced by something else (perhaps addressing
what you are discussing below).

> Like our committer guidelines --
> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/DevWikiComitGuidelines
>

> For a Coc – I think it should be light, but make it clear that we do not
> tolerate strangers coming into our group and demanding us to accept their
> code, cause we want to be welcoming and show we have at least 15% of code
> contributions from women.

One of the dangers of a CoC is that there are many potential issues which
may or may not become real problems. I think if we try to be clear on all
of them, then we risk creating codes instead of a general expectation of
what we do expect.

So my question would be how do you turn this around and frame it as a
positive value and direction?

I assume respecting the commons is insufficient. Maybe a brief note about
the fact that this is critical software and we have to maintain very high
standards of code?