Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?

From: "Regina Obe" <lr(at)pcorp(dot)us>
To: "'Chris Travers'" <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "'Buford Tannen'" <buford(at)biffco(dot)net>, "'Joshua D(dot) Drake'" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "'Brian Dunavant'" <brian(at)omniti(dot)com>, "'Scott Mead'" <scottm(at)openscg(dot)com>, "'Adrian Klaver'" <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, "'Gavin Flower'" <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>, "'PostgreSQL General'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?
Date: 2016-01-12 08:48:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Chris,

>> For a Coc – I think it should be light, but make it clear that we do not tolerate strangers coming into our group and demanding us to accept their code, cause we want to be welcoming and show we have at least 15% of code contributions from women.

> One of the dangers of a CoC is that there are many potential issues which may or may not become real problems. I think if we try to be clear on all of them, then we risk creating codes instead of a general expectation of what we do expect.

> So my question would be how do you turn this around and frame it as a positive value and direction?

> I assume respecting the commons is insufficient. Maybe a brief note about the fact that this is critical software and we have to maintain very high standards of code?

Well we could just explain what we already do but be terse about it.

We accept contributions from everybody. Because our code is used in critical software and of a complex nature, we generally prefer contributions from members familiar with our code base, especially in core areas.

This generally means frequent contributors have a more likely chance of having their code accepted or accepted faster than newcomers.

A member of our community will inspect your contribution and if it is unacceptable in its current state, we will make suggestions for improvement.

In some cases, your contribution may not fit into our current code/documentation base. In these cases, we will reject it and explain why it cannot be used.

That feels long and wordy I know, but not sure how to make it shorter.

Thanks,

Regina