Re: custom function for converting human readable sizes to bytes

From: Vitaly Burovoy <vitaly(dot)burovoy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: custom function for converting human readable sizes to bytes
Date: 2016-01-26 12:48:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello, Pavel!

That letter was not a complain against you. I'm sorry if it seems like
that for you.
It was an intermediate review with several points to be clear for _me_
from experienced hackers, mostly about a code design.

26.01.2016 07:05, Pavel Stehule пишет:
>> pg_proc.h has changed, so the CATALOG_VERSION_NO must be also changed.
> this is not a part of patch - only a commiter knows CATALOG_VERSION_NO

CATALOG_VERSION_NO is mentioned for a committer, it is not your fault.

>> III. There is no support of 'bytes' unit, it seems such behavior got
>> majority approval[2].
>
> No, because I have to use the supported units by configuration. The configuration supports only three chars long units. Support for "bytes" was removed, when I removed proprietary unit table.

Point "III" is the only for the question "d". Also to collect any
possible features from the thread in one place.

>> V. The documentation lacks a note that the base of the "pg_size_bytes"
>> is 1024 whereas the base of the "pg_size_pretty" is 1000.
>
> It isn't true, base for both are 1024. It was designed when special table was used for pg_size_bytes. But when we share same control table, then is wrong to use different table. The result can be optically different, but semantically same.

Oops, I was wrong about a base of pg_size_pretty. It was a morning
after a hard night...

> negative values is fully supported.
You have mentioned it at least three times before. It is not my new
requirement or a point to your fault, it is an argument for
symmetry/asymmetry of the function.

> support of "bytes" depends on support "bytes" unit by GUC. When "bytes" unit will be supported, then it can be used in pg_size_bytes immediately.
By the way there can be a comparison for a special size unit before
calling parse_memory_unit.