Re: New feature "... ALTER CONSTRAINT ... VERIFY USING INDEX"

From: Vitaly Burovoy <vitaly(dot)burovoy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New feature "... ALTER CONSTRAINT ... VERIFY USING INDEX"
Date: 2016-01-09 02:41:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/8/16, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>> On 8 January 2016 at 14:14, Vitaly Burovoy <vitaly(dot)burovoy(at)gmail(dot)com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > What about SET NOT NULL constraints? There is no VALIDATE CONSTRAINT
>> > for
>> > it.
>>
>> Sounds like a useful addition.
>
> Yes. In order to make it a reality you need to make the NOT NULL
> constraints appear in pg_constraint. Years ago I wrote a patch to do
> that, which was very close to done. It would be really cool if Vitaly
> or someone else could look into that patch, update it and get it ready
> for commit.
>
> If someone is interested, I can send the patch along.
>
> --
> Álvaro Herrera http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

I guess you are talking about the other thread[1].
I'm not sure I have enough experience in Postgres hacking to start
working on it right now, but I'll have a look.
IMO the best way is to raise that topic by a letter with summary what
troubles are left there (in addition to a rebasing one).

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20110707213401(dot)GA27098(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org

--
Best regards,
Vitaly Burovoy