Re: New feature "... ALTER CONSTRAINT ... VERIFY USING INDEX"

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Vitaly Burovoy <vitaly(dot)burovoy(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New feature "... ALTER CONSTRAINT ... VERIFY USING INDEX"
Date: 2016-01-08 14:39:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 8 January 2016 at 14:14, Vitaly Burovoy <vitaly(dot)burovoy(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > What about SET NOT NULL constraints? There is no VALIDATE CONSTRAINT for
> > it.
>
> Sounds like a useful addition.

Yes. In order to make it a reality you need to make the NOT NULL
constraints appear in pg_constraint. Years ago I wrote a patch to do
that, which was very close to done. It would be really cool if Vitaly
or someone else could look into that patch, update it and get it ready
for commit.

If someone is interested, I can send the patch along.