Re: pg_dump partitions can lead to inconsistent state after restore

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump partitions can lead to inconsistent state after restore
Date: 2019-04-24 07:36:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 at 14:53, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:

> On 2019/04/24 10:19, David Rowley wrote:
> > ERROR: invalid input syntax for type integer: "One"
> > LINE 1: INSERT INTO public.listp1 VALUES ('One', 1);
> >
> > That settles the debate on the other thread...
>
> +1 to fixing this, although +0.5 to back-patching.
>
> The reason no one has complained so far of being bitten by this may be
> that, as each of one us has said at least once on the other thread, users
> are not very likely to create partitions with different column orders to
> begin with. Maybe, that isn't a reason to leave it as is though.

Well, you could probably class most of the bugs that make their way
through feature freeze, alpha and beta as unlikely. I don't think
that gives us an excuse to leave them as bugs. If someone reported it
we'd most likely go and fix it then anyway, so I really don't see the
point in waiting until then.