Patch to allow pg_filedump to support reading of pg_filenode.map

From: Richard Yen <richyen3(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: myon(at)debian(dot)org
Subject: Patch to allow pg_filedump to support reading of pg_filenode.map
Date: 2021-04-29 00:54:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Hackers,

I recently had to work on a case where some catalog files were
corrupt and/or missing. One of the things we sought to inspect was
pg_filenode.map, but there was no tooling available to do so.

With the help of Álvaro H.. I've put together a patch to allow pg_filedump
to do some rudimentary decoding of pg_filenode.map, so that it's at least
human-readable. I had the idea to try to map the OIDs to relnames, but
that might get hairy, with TOAST table OIDs possibly changing (for pg_proc,
etc.)

It seems that Christoph Berg is the primary committer for the pg_filedump
project these days so he is cc'd here, but if there's some other place I
should be sending this kind of contribution to, please let me know.
Hopefully this will be helpful to others in the future.

Much appreciated,
--Richard

Attachment Content-Type Size
add_filenode_support.patch application/octet-stream 3.9 KB