Re: WIP: WAL prefetch (another approach)

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jakub Wartak <Jakub(dot)Wartak(at)tomtom(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: WAL prefetch (another approach)
Date: 2021-04-29 00:59:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2021-04-28 20:24:43 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Oh! I was about to ask how much shared buffers your primary / standby
> > have.
> Default configurations, so 128MB each.

I thought that possibly initdb would detect less or something...

I assume this is 32bit? I did notice that a 32bit test took a lot longer
than a 64bit test. But didn't investigate so far.

> And I think I may actually have reproduce a variant of the issue!

Unfortunately I had not set up things in a way that the primary retains
the WAL, making it harder to compare whether it's the WAL that got
corrupted or whether it's a decoding bug.

I can however say that pg_waldump on the standby's pg_wal does also
fail. The failure as part of the backend is "invalid memory alloc
request size", whereas in pg_waldump I get the much more helpful:
pg_waldump: fatal: error in WAL record at 4/7F5C31C8: record with incorrect prev-link 416200FF/FF000000 at 4/7F5C3200

In frontend code that allocation actually succeeds, because there is no
size check. But in backend code we run into the size check, and thus
don't even display a useful error.

In 13 the header is validated before allocating space for the
record(except if header is spread across pages) - it seems inadvisable
to turn that around?

Greetings,

Andres Freund