Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Everaldo Canuto <everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Vérité <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2017-12-08 14:53:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 7:26 AM, Everaldo Canuto <everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Didn't know about SHOW command. Are TABLES a reserved word?

​There isn't going to be that much appetite for this just so that people
can use PostgreSQL without reading our documentation: or the output of
typing "help" at the psql prompt that says "type \q to quit".​

I don't know how one would go about reasonably writing extensions for psql
but that, to me, would be the preferred approach. Then people could
install whichever compatability module they'd like.

I'll agree that exiting the program is a special case that merits
consideration - and it has been given that in the form of the concession to
the word "help" in order to get the reader unfamiliar with our backslash
prefix a non-backslash way to obtain that knowledge apart from reading our
docs. Under that premise I would accept (lacking compelling arguments for
why its a bad idea) this proposal for quit/exit but am against anything
beyond that.

David J.