Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: Ryan Murphy <ryanfmurphy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2017-12-08 15:09:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> ​There isn't going to be that much appetite for this just so that people
> can use PostgreSQL without reading our documentation: or the output of
> typing "help" at the psql prompt that says "type \q to quit".​

Agree with this. The whole reason people here are reluctant to add "quit"
in the first place is that it could become a slippery slope where people
now want every popular MySQL/Oracle command cloned, just so they can avoid
reading docs and never understand the design/power/elegance of Postgres.

For example, while I think "quit" is a good idea, it'd be a shame if it
caused people to never find out about \ commands.

> I'll agree that exiting the program is a special case that merits
consideration

Yes, I think we can find the right balance here. We don't need to suddenly
start implementing SHOW TABLES, as attractive as that is to people who know
MySQL.