Official Windows Installer and Documentation

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Official Windows Installer and Documentation
Date: 2022-07-27 19:21:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hey,

Just interacted with a frustrated user on Slack trying to upgrade from v13
to v14 on Windows. Our official download page for the Windows installer
claims the core documentation as its official reference - can someone
responsible for this area please suggest and test some changes to make this
reality more acceptable.

The particular point that was brought up is our documentation for
pg_upgrade says:

RUNAS /USER:postgres "CMD.EXE"
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\14\bin;

The problem is apparently (I haven't personally tested) our
official installer doesn't bother to create the postgres operating system
user account.

It is also unclear whether the defaults for pg_hba.conf add some kind of
bad interaction here should one fix this particular problem.

And then there is the issue of file ownership.

Assuming we want better documentation for this specific issue for
back-patching what would that look like?

Going forward should our installer be creating the postgres user for
consistency with other platforms or not?

I suggest adding relevant discussion about this particular official binary
distribution to:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/install-binaries.html

David J.