Re: Allow pageinspect's bt_page_stats function to return a set of rows instead of a single row

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hamid Akhtar <hamid(dot)akhtar(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow pageinspect's bt_page_stats function to return a set of rows instead of a single row
Date: 2022-07-27 19:36:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hamid Akhtar <hamid(dot)akhtar(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> That attached patch is based on the master branch. It makes the following
> changes to the pageinspect contrib module:
> - Updates bt_page_stats_internal function to accept 3 arguments instead of
> 2.
> - The function now uses SRF macros to return a set rather than a single
> row. The function call now requires specifying column names.

FWIW, I think you'd be way better off changing the function name, say
to bt_multi_page_stats(). Overloading the name this way is going to
lead to great confusion, e.g. somebody who fat-fingers the number of
output arguments in a JDBC call could see confusing results due to
invoking the wrong one of the two functions. Also, I'm not quite sure
what you mean by "The function call now requires specifying column
names", but it doesn't sound like an acceptable restriction from a
compatibility standpoint. If a different name dodges that issue then
it's clearly a better way.