Re: Reopen logfile on SIGHUP

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reopen logfile on SIGHUP
Date: 2018-02-27 23:20:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 4:12 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> IOW, I think a fair response to this is "if you're using logrotate with
> Postgres, you're doing it wrong". That was of some use back before we
> spent so much sweat on the syslogger, but it's not a reasonable setup
> today.

A couple of weeks ago a message was posted to general [1] in which I
concluded the desired behavior is not supported natively. I'm curious
whether better advice than mine can be given ...

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAKoQ0XHAy9De1C8gxUWHSW6w5iKcqX03wyWGe_%2Bc8NxJccCBHw%40mail(dot)gmail(dot)com#CAKoQ0XHAy9De1C8gxUWHSW6w5iKcqX03wyWGe_+c8NxJccCBHw(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com

David J.