Re: Release note bloat is getting out of hand

From: David G Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release note bloat is getting out of hand
Date: 2015-02-03 01:47:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 6:40 PM, Peter Eisentraut-2 [via PostgreSQL] <
ml-node+s1045698n5836471h25(at)n5(dot)nabble(dot)com> wrote:

> On 2/1/15 11:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I think it's time we changed the policy of including all release notes
> > back to the beginning in Appendix E.
>
> I share the sentiment that the release notes *seem* too big, but the
> subsequent discussion shows that it's not clear why that's really a
> problem. Exactly what problem are we trying to fix?

​We'd get a lines-of-code decrease which would translate into a improvement
in the make process time; most noticeable for someone doing a doc-only
build, multiple times, to see how a doc change looks. No time percentage
has been provided yet but the goal seems reasonable in theory.

David J.​