Re: ANY_VALUE aggregate

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ANY_VALUE aggregate
Date: 2022-12-05 17:56:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 5, 2022 at 7:57 AM Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org> wrote:

> The SQL:2023 Standard defines a new aggregate named ANY_VALUE. It
> returns an implementation-dependent (i.e. non-deterministic) value from
> the rows in its group.
>
> PFA an implementation of this aggregate.

Can we please add "first_value" and "last_value" if we are going to add
"some_random_value" to our library of aggregates?

Also, maybe we should have any_value do something like compute a 50/50
chance that any new value seen replaces the existing chosen value, instead
of simply returning the first value all the time. Maybe even prohibit the
first value from being chosen so long as a second value appears.

David J.