Re: Naming of the different stats systems / "stats collector"

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Naming of the different stats systems / "stats collector"
Date: 2022-03-09 03:17:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 7:32 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> we need a descriptive term / shorthand that
> describes the type of statistics we currently send to the stats collector.
>
> "cumulative stats subsystem"?

I'm growing fond of "cumulative". It is more precise (and restrictive)
than "metric" but that is beneficial here so long as it is indeed true
(which a quick skim of Table 28.2. Collected Statistics Views [1] leads me
to believe it is).

I'd be concerned that subsystem implies a collection process in a manner
similar to how you associated datastore with a physical file on disk. But
I'd pick subsystem over datastore here in any case.

David J.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/monitoring-stats.html