Re: Optionally automatically disable logical replication subscriptions on error

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, "tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Smith, Peter" <peters(at)fast(dot)au(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2022-03-09 03:36:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 6:29 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> ---
> It might have already been discussed but the worker disables the
> subscription on an error but doesn't work for a fatal. Is that
> expected or should we handle that too?

I am not too sure about handling FATALs with this feature because this
is mainly to aid in resolving conflicts due to various constraints. It
might be okay to retry in case of FATAL which is possibly due to some
system resource error. OTOH, if we see that it will be good to disable
for a FATAL error as well then I think we can use
PG_ENSURE_ERROR_CLEANUP construct. What do you think?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.