Re: [BUGS] BUG #14155: bloom index error with unlogged table

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: 德哥 <digoal(at)126(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #14155: bloom index error with unlogged table
Date: 2016-05-25 00:27:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Moving my griping to -hackers only

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 8:08 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> digoal(at)126(dot)com writes:
> > postgres=# create unlogged table u_tbl (id int);
> > CREATE TABLE
> > postgres=# create index idx_u_tbl on u_tbl using bloom (id);
> > ERROR: index "idx_u_tbl" already contains data
>
> Yeah, it looks like nobody ever tested bloom's unlogged-index support;
> it doesn't work or even come very close to working. Will fix, thanks
> for the report!

​I'll tack on my own gripe here, just because.

It doesn't give me a lot of confidence in what was committed when the
summary sentence for the module says:

"
bloom is a module which implements an index access method. It comes as an
example of custom access methods and generic WAL records usage. But it is
also useful in itself.
​"​

​Honestly, as a user I couldn't care less that bloom is "an example custom
access method"​. I want to know what it does and that it does so reliably,
and has a easy-to-use interface. I complained earlier about its lack of
direct support for the boolean type. Teodor's response on the thread
wasn't particularly encouraging:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/5718A59D.4090706@sigaev.ru

I also see that the following -hacker thread didn't get resolved:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAKFQuwYkrepEsELFWb0B85daT466LELY8Ao-oKPWaQPwTmgGUg@mail.gmail.com

I would not be surprised to see additional problems crop up in the module.
Tom's characterization above just reinforces that.

David J.