Re: CREATE TABLE .. LIKE .. EXCLUDING documentation

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CREATE TABLE .. LIKE .. EXCLUDING documentation
Date: 2018-06-28 23:22:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 3:57 PM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:

> > On 27 Jun 2018, at 18:02, Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
>
> > I found that there isn't explanation about EXCLUDING in CREATE TABLE doc.
> > Attached is a patch to add this. I would appreciate it if a native
> English
> > speaker comments on this.

> specified
>
> The empty <literal></literal> seems wrong.
>
> + after <literal>INCLUDING</literal> options, the specified thing is
> excluded
>
> “thing” sounds a bit vague here (and in the last sentence as well), but I’m
> also not sure what to use instead. “referenced objects" perhaps?
>
> +1 on documenting the EXCLUDING option though.

​"is excluded" and "not copied" are redundant to each other and the first
sentence is basically redundant with the second.

​Maybe try something like:

It is legal to specify the same option multiple times - e.g., "INCLUDING
option EXCLUDING option" - the outcome is whichever comes last in the
command (i.e., in the example, option is excluded).

David J.