Re: CREATE TABLE .. LIKE .. EXCLUDING documentation

From: Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CREATE TABLE .. LIKE .. EXCLUDING documentation
Date: 2018-06-29 05:56:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 16:22:15 -0700
"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 3:57 PM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:

Thank you for your reviewing!

I attached the updated patch.

> > > On 27 Jun 2018, at 18:02, Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> >
> > > I found that there isn't explanation about EXCLUDING in CREATE TABLE doc.
> > > Attached is a patch to add this. I would appreciate it if a native
> > English
> > > speaker comments on this.

> > specified
> >
> > The empty <literal></literal> seems wrong.

Fixed

> > + after <literal>INCLUDING</literal> options, the specified thing is
> > excluded
> >
> > “thing” sounds a bit vague here (and in the last sentence as well), but I’m
> > also not sure what to use instead. “referenced objects" perhaps?

Fixed.

> > +1 on documenting the EXCLUDING option though.
> >

> ​"is excluded" and "not copied" are redundant to each other and the first

I removed "is excluded".

> sentence is basically redundant with the second.
>
> ​Maybe try something like:
>
> It is legal to specify the same option multiple times - e.g., "INCLUDING
> option EXCLUDING option" - the outcome is whichever comes last in the
> command (i.e., in the example, option is excluded).

Certainly. However, it seems to me that example is also redundant.
I rewrote this as follows:

It is legal to specify multiple options for the same kind of object.
If they conflict, latter options always override former options.

Does this make sense?

--
Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>

Attachment Content-Type Size
doc_excluding_v2.patch text/x-diff 1.0 KB