Re: warning about console code page on starting psql

From: David Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Robertson <stumpednomore(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: warning about console code page on starting psql
Date: 2014-12-17 06:15:25
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-novice

Please send all replies to the list and either inline or bottom post.

On Tuesday, December 16, 2014, Scott Robertson <stumpednomore(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Thanks David, I am starting to understand the console is what they used
> to call a dos prompt, the little black window where psql appears.

Correct.

> As you say, the font change had no effect on the Windows command prompt
> console that I open from the Windows start menu. However, the font
> change did persist in psql. Each time I reopen psql, it is now
> automatically in Lucida Console font.

Must be some memorized state being saved by Windows and the means by which
you are launching psql.

> It seems I should be able to get to C:\> from the same (psql) console,
> but don't know how, or how to get back to psql if I did. And don't know
> if there's any reason to.
>
> It sounds like you're saying that I should type this command in the psql
> console each time I open it. In which case, I'd have to get to the C:\>
> in order to do it, since it's not a psql command.

I don't know psql is launched on windows (or, specifically, how you are
launching it) so cannot answer that particular question. Using
"start->run" you can type "cmd" then in the resulting console change the
codepage before manually running "psql"

Shortcut properties can be explored if indeed that is what is being used to
launch psql.

If your are in psql already what happens when you type "\q" ?

> However, returning to my original post, I have already determined that
> Windows is set to 1252 as (?) instructed by pg documentation, and is
> still giving the same error. Is there a windows configuration file I
> should edit or...???

You don't change the Windows codepage - you change the console to match
whatever Windows is using.

David J.