Re: warning about console code page on starting psql

From: Scott Robertson <stumpednomore(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: warning about console code page on starting psql
Date: 2014-12-17 07:08:44
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-novice

On 12/17/2014 2:15 PM, David Johnston wrote:
> Please send all replies to the list and either inline or bottom post.
>
> On Tuesday, December 16, 2014, Scott Robertson
> <stumpednomore(at)gmail(dot)com <mailto:stumpednomore(at)gmail(dot)com>> wrote:
>
> Thanks David, I am starting to understand the console is what they
> used
> to call a dos prompt, the little black window where psql appears.
>

> Correct.
>

> As you say, the font change had no effect on the Windows command
> prompt
> console that I open from the Windows start menu. However, the font
> change did persist in psql. Each time I reopen psql, it is now
> automatically in Lucida Console font.
>

> Must be some memorized state being saved by Windows and the means by
> which you are launching psql.
>

> It seems I should be able to get to C:\> from the same (psql) console,
> but don't know how, or how to get back to psql if I did. And don't
> know
> if there's any reason to.
>
> It sounds like you're saying that I should type this command in
> the psql
> console each time I open it. In which case, I'd have to get to the
> C:\>
> in order to do it, since it's not a psql command.
>

> I don't know psql is launched on windows (or, specifically, how you
> are launching it) so cannot answer that particular question. Using
> "start->run" you can type "cmd" then in the resulting console change
> the codepage before manually running "psql"
Tried this, nothing changed.

> Shortcut properties can be explored if indeed that is what is being
> used to launch psql.
Yes, I had a shortcut for psql in the program files start menu of
Windows, which I moved to the desktop. I don't know another way to open it.

Shortcut target is "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.4\scripts\runpsql.bat"
Start in location is "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.4\scripts"

> If your are in psql already what happens when you type "\q" ?
psql says "type any key to continue" and if you do, psql quits.

> However, returning to my original post, I have already determined that
> Windows is set to 1252 as (?) instructed by pg documentation, and is
> still giving the same error. Is there a windows configuration file I
> should edit or...???
>

> You don't change the Windows codepage - you change the console to
> match whatever Windows is using.
>
> David J.

---