Re: csv format for psql

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: csv format for psql
Date: 2018-03-28 19:19:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday, March 28, 2018, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Are there some possible alternatives?
>>>

>> Given the date and the fact that the cf end is 3 days away, the proposed
>> short term alternative is Daniel's version, that I feel is reasonable. Ok,
>> people have to do two pset to get comma-separated csv, otherwise they get
>> pipe-separated csv in one pset.

Could someone post how captions, rows-only, and footer pset settings factor
into this? Specifically are they fixed to on/off or will they hide/show if
users request them explicitly?

My take on this is that --csv mode is/should be an alternate output mode
from the existing pset controlled one, and functions basically like "\copy
to stdout" and all echoing and metadata outputs are disabled and only query
results, with header and the user specified delimiter, are output. No
control other than the delimiter seems to be provided in the current design
but that could be expanded upon. In that specification the existing
fieldsep argument that is tied to pset should not be used and something
like --csv-fieldsep should be provided (I like the prefixing to tie the
option lexically to the master --csv option).

David J.