Re: Trigger file behavior with the standby

From: Keiko Oda <keiko713(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trigger file behavior with the standby
Date: 2018-03-28 19:23:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks a lot for the answer, Michael (and sorry for the slow response)!

So, if I understand what you're saying correctly, I'm seeing this behavior
because wal-e keeps fetching wal files from s3 regardless of this
trigger_file, and these fetched wal files are in pg_wal (or pg_xlog),
therefore Postgres just tries to restore whatever available in pg_wal
before the failover. Or, even if there is no file in pg_wal, it still tries
to fetch from the "archive" (s3).
In other words, if I would like to do "immediate failover" (and do not care
about WAL files available in archive or in pg_wal), I should be tweaking
restore_command so that no further fetching/restoring happens.
Is it... accurate?

Thanks,
Keiko