Re: strange syntax

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: zaledwie10minut(at)gmail(dot)com, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: strange syntax
Date: 2020-07-16 20:38:09
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 11:58 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-07-14 at 21:33 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> > this sentence looks strange:
> > "Schemas are a purely logical structure and who can access what is
> managed
> > by the privilege system"
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/manage-ag-overview.html
> >
> > especially this part: "who can access what is managed by"
>
> It is correct English, but maybe it could be worded better:

Agreed

> "Schemas are a purely logical structure and impose no access restrictions,
> apart from those defined by the privilege system."

But I don't think this is an improvement.

I think "modular" is a better term than "logical" here.

Given that we've already said "multiple databases, which are isolated from
each other" trying to say the same thing with "impose no access
restrictions" doesn't seem to help; and one of the two major benefits of
schemas is to provide privilege system hook less granular than object -
which the original puts forward directly but clumsily and the proposal sets
into an aside ("apart from"). The other benefit, namespace isolation,
isn't even mentioned but seems like a useful addition.

Thus:

Schemas provide modular structure, with namespace isolation and
authorization control.
or
... possibly into separate schemas; which provide modular structure with
namespace isolation and authorization control.
David J.