Re: Jumbled words

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: kumarsa(at)gmail(dot)com, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Jumbled words
Date: 2021-03-11 00:57:08
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 5:49 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 03:57:50PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> > The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:
> >
> > Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/sql-createrole.html
> >
> > "modified by later ALTER ROLE" to be changed to "modified later by ALTER
> > ROLE".
>
> I think the existing text is better:
>
> All the attributes specified by <command>CREATE ROLE</command> can
> be
> modified by later <command>ALTER ROLE</command> commands.
>
> The reason "later" is there is to talk about later "ALTER ROLE"
> commands, rather than "modified later". The point is that there can be
> later "ALTER ROLE" commands to change things.

IMO both wordings convey the same meaning. But given that one should
expect ALTER ROLE to be able to alter any attribute CREATE ROLE can specify
the sentence itself doesn't contribute much, regardless of its phrasing.
If it is to be changed I'd say just do away with it all together.
Otherwise the existing wording suffices.

David J.