Re: BUG #17221: Data sending resume

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "nagandllamohan(at)gmail(dot)com" <nagandllamohan(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #17221: Data sending resume
Date: 2021-10-11 21:38:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Monday, October 11, 2021, PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> Bug reference: 17221
> Logged by: Mohan nagandlla
> Email address: nagandllamohan(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 13.3
> Operating system: Alpine:3.13
>
> HI team ,
> I Have query that is let we assume I have HA postgres setup by repmgr. Now
> was copying the data from local file in size 10 GB to database. In mean
> while let we assume master was down so before the master node down the data
> 5 GB sent if I again try to send the data to new master isn't the database
> will collect the remining 5 GB data only or it will start from beginning of
> the file again?

I presume when the new master is promoted all transactions on the old
master were already aborted and new transactions begun. The new master
will start the data copy from scratch as part of the new transaction. It
has no way of knowing that this new transaction and the old one are in any
way related.

David J.