Re: make MaxBackends available in _PG_init

From: Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make MaxBackends available in _PG_init
Date: 2021-08-11 13:41:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 8:22 PM Bossart, Nathan <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com> wrote:

> > Is this going to get tripped by a call from restore_backend_variables?
>
> I ran 'make check-world' with EXEC_BACKEND with no problems, so I
> don't think so.

v3 looks good, but I'm still not sure how to test the bit mentioned above.
I'm not familiar with this part of the code (SubPostmasterMain etc.), but
running make check-world with EXEC_BACKEND does not seem to execute that
code, as I added exit(1) to restore_backend_variables() and the tests still
ran fine. Further digging shows that even though the #ifdef EXEC_BACKEND
path is triggered, no --fork argument was being passed. Is there something
else one needs to provide to force that --fork (see line 189 of
src/backend/main/main.c) when testing?

Cheers,
Greg