Re: Worth using personality(ADDR_NO_RANDOMIZE) for EXEC_BACKEND on linux?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Worth using personality(ADDR_NO_RANDOMIZE) for EXEC_BACKEND on linux?
Date: 2021-08-11 13:45:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 7:59 PM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I saw claims that you can also link with -Wl,-no_pie or toggle the PIE
> bit on your executable and libraries, but that didn't work for me on
> 11, Intel (no effect) or ARM (linker option gone).

I think that worked for me on older macOS releases, and then it
stopped working at some point after some update or reinstall or
something. Unfortunately I don't know any more precisely than that,
but it does seem like we have to find some other approach to work on
modern systems.

Hopefully they don't keep whacking this around...

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com