Re: New developer papercut - Makefile references INSTALL

From: samay sharma <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tim McNamara <tim(at)mcnamara(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New developer papercut - Makefile references INSTALL
Date: 2022-01-21 00:29:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 4:58 PM Tim McNamara <tim(at)mcnamara(dot)nz> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I encountered a minor road bump when checking out the pg source today. The
> Makefile's all target includes the following help message if GNUmakefile
> isn't available:
>
> echo "You need to run the 'configure' program first. See the file"; \
> echo "'INSTALL' for installation instructions." ; \
>
> After consulting README.git, it looks as though INSTALL isn't created
> unless the source is bundled into a release or snapshot tarball. I'm happy
> to submit a patch to update the wording, but wanted to check on the
> preferred approach.
>
> Perhaps this would be sufficient?
>
> echo "You need to run the 'configure' program first. See the file"; \
> echo "'INSTALL' for installation instructions, or visit" ; \
> echo "<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/installation.html>" ; \
>
> -Tim

I noticed a similar thing in the README of the github repository. It asks
to see the INSTALL file for build and installation instructions but I
couldn't find that file and that confused me. This might confuse other new
developers as well. So, maybe we should update the text in the README too?

Regards,
Samay