Re: New developer papercut - Makefile references INSTALL

From: Josef Šimánek <josef(dot)simanek(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: samay sharma <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tim McNamara <tim(at)mcnamara(dot)nz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New developer papercut - Makefile references INSTALL
Date: 2022-01-21 08:09:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

pá 21. 1. 2022 v 1:29 odesílatel samay sharma <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com> napsal:

> On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 4:58 PM Tim McNamara <tim(at)mcnamara(dot)nz> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I encountered a minor road bump when checking out the pg source today. The Makefile's all target includes the following help message if GNUmakefile isn't available:
>>
>> echo "You need to run the 'configure' program first. See the file"; \
>> echo "'INSTALL' for installation instructions." ; \
>>
>> After consulting README.git, it looks as though INSTALL isn't created unless the source is bundled into a release or snapshot tarball. I'm happy to submit a patch to update the wording, but wanted to check on the preferred approach.
>>
>> Perhaps this would be sufficient?
>>
>> echo "You need to run the 'configure' program first. See the file"; \
>> echo "'INSTALL' for installation instructions, or visit" ; \
>> echo "<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/installation.html>" ; \
>>
>> -Tim
>

> I noticed a similar thing in the README of the github repository. It asks to see the INSTALL file for build and installation instructions but I couldn't find that file and that confused me. This might confuse other new developers as well. So, maybe we should update the text in the README too?

There is README.git explaining this. README itself is meant to be used
for distributed source code. You can generate INSTALL locally for
example by running make dist (INSTALL will be present in
postgresql-15devel directory).

Anyway I do agree this is confusing. Maybe we can actually rename
README.git to README and current README to README.dist or similar.
README.dist can be copied to distribution package as README during
Makefile magic.

I can try to provide a patch if welcomed.