Re: GSoC 2017: Foreign Key Arrays

From: Mark Rofail <markm(dot)rofail(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GSoC 2017: Foreign Key Arrays
Date: 2017-07-27 19:15:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 7:30 PM, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Oh, ok. I missed that.
>>
> Could you remind me why don't we have DELETE CASCADE? I understand that
> UPDATE CASCADE is problematic because it's unclear which way should we
> delete elements from array. But what about DELETE CASCADE?

Honestly, I didn't touch that part of the patch. It's very interesting
though, I think it would be great to spend the rest of GSoC in it.

Off the top of my head though, there's many ways to go about DELETE
CASCADE. You could only delete the member of the referencing array or the
whole array. I think there's a lot of options the user might want to
consider and it's hard to generalize to DELETE CASCADE. Maybe new grammar
would be introduced here ?|

Best Regards,
Mark Rofail