Re: Refactor handling of database attributes between pg_dump and pg_dumpall

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Vaishnavi Prabakaran <vaishnaviprabakaran(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Refactor handling of database attributes between pg_dump and pg_dumpall
Date: 2017-11-07 09:35:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 10:01 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 7:36 AM, Haribabu Kommi
> <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Apologies for not providing much details.
> >
> > pg_dumpall is used to produce the following statements for database,
> >
> > "Create database" (other than default database) or
> > "Alter database set tablespace" for default database (if required)
> >
> > ACL queries related to database
> > Alter database config
> > Alter database role config
> >
> > whereas, pg_dump used to produce only "create database statement".
>
> How about adding a new flag --set-db-properties that doesn't produce
> CREATE DATABASE but does dump the other stuff? -C would dump both
> CREATE DATABASE *and* the other stuff. Then you could dump built-in
> databases with --set-db-properties and others with -C.

Thanks for the idea, Here I attached the patch that implements the same.

The newly added option is not recommended to be used in normal cases and
it is used only for upgrade utilities.

In case if user issues pg_dump with --set-db-properties option along with
--create
or --clean options, an error is raised. Currently there is no way to throw
an error
in case if the dump is generated with --set-db-properties and try to
restore with
--clean option. To avoid this change, we may need to add additional details
in the
archive handler, but is it really needed?

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_dump-and-pg_dumpall-database-handling-refactoring_v9.patch application/octet-stream 49.9 KB