Re: Custom compression methods

From: Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Custom compression methods
Date: 2017-11-07 09:44:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 23:02:34 +0800
Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 2 November 2017 at 17:41, Ildus Kurbangaliev
> <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
>
> > In this patch compression methods is suitable for MAIN and EXTENDED
> > storages like in current implementation in postgres. Just instead
> > only of LZ4 you can specify any other compression method.
>
> We've had this discussion before.
>
> Please read the "pluggable compression support" thread. See you in a
> few days ;) sorry, it's kinda long.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20130621000900(dot)GA12425%40alap2(dot)anarazel(dot)de#20130621000900(dot)GA12425(at)alap2(dot)anarazel(dot)de
>
> IIRC there were some concerns about what happened with pg_upgrade,
> with consuming precious toast bits, and a few other things.

Thank you for the link, I didn't see that thread when I looked over
mailing lists. I read it briefly, and I can address few things
relating to my patch.

Most concerns have been related with legal issues.
Actually that was the reason I did not include any new compression
algorithms to my patch. Unlike that patch mine only provides syntax
and is just a way to give the users use their own compression algorithms
and deal with any legal issues themselves.

I use only one unused bit in header (there's still one free ;), that's
enough to determine that data is compressed or not.

I did found out that pg_upgrade doesn't work properly with my patch,
soon I will send fix for it.

--
---
Ildus Kurbangaliev