Re: visual studio 2017 build support

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Christian Ullrich <chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: visual studio 2017 build support
Date: 2017-09-22 00:16:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 7:03 AM, Andrew Dunstan <
andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 08/25/2017 11:29 PM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 11:27 PM, Christian Ullrich
> > <chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net <mailto:chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net>> wrote:
> >
> > * On 2017-06-21 02:06, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the review. Here I attached an updated patch with
> > README update.
> >

> > Hello,
> >

> > Thanks for the review.
> >

> > the most recent update to VS 2017, version 15.3, now identifies as
> > "14.11" rather than "14.10" in the output of nmake /?. Simply
> > adding this value to the two places that check for 14.10 in your
> > patch appears to work for me.
> >

> > VS 2017 doesn't change the nmake version to 15, and it is updating
> > with every minor version, so I changed the check to accept
> > everything that is greater than 14.10 and eq 15, in case in future if
> > VS 2017 changes the version number.
> >

> > In a newly created project, PlatformToolset is still "v141".
> > ToolsVersion is "15.0" whereas your patch uses "14.1".
> >
> > ISTM that the ToolsVersion has been like this in all versions of
> > VS 2017; in my collection of .vcxproj files the auto-generated
> > PostgreSQL projects are the only ones using "14.1".
> >

> > Updated the Tools version to 15.0 and kept the platform toolset as
> > V141, this because the toolset is version is still points
> > to V141, when I create a sample project with VS 2017 and the version
> > number is inline with nmake version also.
> >

> I was about to commit this after a good bit of testing when I noticed this:
>
> + Building with <productname>Visual Studio 2017</productname> is
> supported
> + down to <productname>Windows 7 SP1</> and <productname>Windows
> Server 2012 R2</>.
>
> I was able to build on Windows Server 2008 without a problem, so I'm
> curious why we are saying it's not supported.

Thanks for the review.

From the visual studio system requirements [1], in the section of supported
operating systems, it is mentioned as windows 7 SP1 and windows server
2012 R2 and didn't mentioned anything about 2008, because of this reason,
I mentioned as that it supported till the above operating systems. As I
don't
have windows server 2008 system availability, so I didn't verify the same.

The visual studio 2017 product itself is not mentioned as that it supports
windows server 2008, can we go ahead and mention it in our documentation?

[1] -
https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/vs2017-system-requirements-vs

Regards,
Hari Babu