Re: hash index on unlogged tables doesn't behave as expected

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com, michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com, ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hash index on unlogged tables doesn't behave as expected
Date: 2017-09-22 00:16:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Thu, 21 Sep 2017 16:19:27 -0400, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in <694CB417-EF2C-4760-863B-AEC4530C21E3(at)gmail(dot)com>
> On Sep 21, 2017, at 8:59 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:.
> > I think giving an error message like "hash indexes are not WAL-logged
> > and .." for unlogged tables doesn't seem like a good behavior.
>
> +1. This seems like deliberate behavior, not a bug.

Though I don't see it's bug and agree that the message is not
proper, currently we can create hash indexes without no warning
on unlogged tables and it causes a problem with replication.

The point here is that if we leave the behavior (failure on the
standby) for the reason that we see a warning on index creation,
a similar messages ought to be for unlogged tables.

Otherwise, our decision will be another option.

(4) Though we won't not see a warning on hash index creation on
unlogged tables, it seems to have been a problem and won't
mind.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi