Re: I'd like to discuss scaleout at PGCon

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I'd like to discuss scaleout at PGCon
Date: 2018-06-23 02:41:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 12:17 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 01:28:58PM -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 12:34 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > >
> > > What we don't want to do is to add a bunch of sharding-specific code
> > > without knowing which workloads it benefits, and how many of our users
> > > will actually use sharding. Some projects have it done that, and it
> > > didn't end well since they then had a lot of product complexity with
> > > little user value.
> >
> > Key features from my perspective:
> > *) fdw in parallel. how do i do it today? ghetto implemented parallel
> > queries with asynchronous dblink
>
> Andres has outlined what needs to be done here:
>

> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20180525033538.6ypfwcqcxce6zkjj%40alap3.anarazel.de

Sorry if this was already been discussed in up-thread.

Just I would like to bring out idea scale out by adding many instances that
can share the lock and buffer pool manager with all the instances with
the help of Remote direct memory access.

By adding pluggable buffer pool and lock manager, how about adding
many instances and all share the buffers using RDMA to provide
better scaling with shared everything.

Currently I didn't know have any idea whether is it possible or not and also
the problems in using RDMA.

Just want to check whether is it worth idea to consider in supporting scale
out?

Regards,
Haribabu Kommi
Fujitsu Australia